AUTOGRAPHED BOOKLETS SHIPPING WITH THIS RELEASE ARE SOLD OUT! This album is available for purchase WITHOUT autographed booklet.
In the past two years, Ingrid Michaelson has vaulted from overachieving indie-pop sweetheart to a bona-fide pop star. Her last release, Human Again, debuted at No. 5 on the Billboard album chart (plus No.1 on iTunes).
Then, says Ingrid, "Everything just came to a screeching halt." While helping out seriously ill relatives, her dog died. Soon after, Ingrid herself fell sick with serious stomach issues. "My whole throat was on fire for a few months. I had to stop writing," she says, of the time between April and August 2013. "I was so ill, I couldn't sing." After seeing countless doctors - "like, three a day" at its worst - she got better and was able to resume writing Lights Out. For someone associated with crafting sunny tunes about escapism, a creative detour into dusk seemed almost inevitable.
Technically, Lights Out refers to the two words uttered on Ingrid's tour bus when everyone's ready to call it a night. But given recent developments, it's become a metaphor for contemplating mortality and letting go - themes more thoughtful than they are dark. The album builds into intensity, but is anchored by the swelling pop-affirmation "Time Machine" and the sweetly buoyant "Girls Chase Boys," which fits squarely into her existing catalog. "We thought of that song as the bridge for people. I'm still respecting what people want, but showing them what I can do," she explains, adding: "Some of the songs, like 'Over You,' are written to sound like relationship-y songs, but they're not."
The ethereal "Handsome Hands" is arguably Lights Out's most left-of-center offering. "The song is about death, but it's also about the higher power," she explains. "In moments of desperation, even the most non-religious people pray. When you're pushed to your limits, you look for help from something other than yourself." Similarly, "Wonderful Unknown" is a positive, if beguiling narrative about the fears and uncertainties of growing old with your spouse, which she delivers in a lower register. An after-effect of her illness? "I don't think I've lost part of my voice," she explains, "but my voice has somewhat changed."
Perhaps more dauntingly, Lights Out also marks Ingrid's entry into a brave new world of songwriting. Recorded in New York, Los Angeles, and Nashville, the album features six producers and ten co-writers, including singer-songwriters Katie Herzig, Mat Kearney, Trent Dabbs, as well as the very in-demand Busbee (Pink, Katy Perry, Lady Antebellum) and A Great Big World . "With every other record, I've always written all of the songs. I've worked with one producer. And we've stayed in one room," she says. "I've been such a control freak about my songs! But if you can get with the right person, there are ideas you could never come up with. It totally opens doors."
Also available with Autographed CD Booklet:
Ingrid Michaelson's North American Tour Dates:
- 4/21 - Le National - Montreal, QC
- 4/22 - Danforth Music Hall - Toronto, ON
- 4/23 - Royal Oak Theatre - Royal Oak, MI
- 4/24 - Riviera Theatre - Chicago, IL
- 4/26 - First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
- 4/28 - Ogden Theatre - Denver, CO
- 4/29 - The Great Saltair - Magna, UT
- 5/1 - Paramount Theatre - Seattle, WA
- 5/2 - Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC
- 5/3 - Roseland Theatre - Portland, OR
- 5/5 - Fox Theater - Oakland, CA
- 5/7 - Wiltern Theater - Los Angeles, CA
- 5/9 - Humphreys Concerts by the Bay - San Diego, CA
- 5/10 - House of Blues - Las Vegas, NV
- 5/13 - House of Blues - Dallas, TX
- 5/14 - Stubb's Waller Creek Amphitheater - Austin, TX
- 5/15 - House of Blues - Houston, TX
- 5/16 - Hangout Music Fest - Gulf Shores, AL
- 5/18 - State Theatre - St. Petersburg, FL
- 5/19 - The Beacham - Orlando, FL
- 5/20 - Center Stage - Atlanta, GA
- 5/21 - The Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN
- 5/23 - The Lincoln Theatre - Washington, DC
- 5/24 - The Lincoln Theatre - Washington, DC
- 5/25 - Stage AE - Pittsburgh, PA
- 5/27 - Upstate Concert Hall - Clifton Park, NY
- 5/29 - Terminal 5 - New York, NY
- 5/30 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
- 5/31 - The NorVa - Norfolk , VA
- 6/2 - House of Blues - Boston, MA
*Offer valid only with purchase of Lights Out. This special offer is valid for both domestic and international orders. CDs shipping with promotional items are limited to (5) per customer. Autographed CD booklets will be available while supplies last, newburycomics.com will post information when autographed booklets are sold out.
Click the link
below for more