Order the album Circles by Mike Doughty and get a limited* autographed CD booklet with purchase!
"The parts about Soul Coughing in my memoir, The Book of Drugs, were a big fat ball of darkness. After a long, arduous book tour, reading these parts to audiences, I sat down with an acoustic guitar and picked through them. I found myself wanting to figure out what I meant, who I was, where I was when I wrote the songs. I wanted to separate the songs - not the recordings, but the songs - from the darkness. These songs are as I meant them to be, when I wrote them, in the '90s: some are club bangers, some are pop songs; in general, they're bigger, heavier, cleaner, funkier, more streamlined than the originals.
"My favorite songs on the album are the ones that, when I wrote them, I envisioned as club bangers - I've finally gotten to make them into what I heard in my head. I spent a lot of time in the '90s in dance clubs - house, hip hop, and techno music in New York in the early '90s, big beat and drum and bass in London in the mid-'90s. I wrote melodies on the dance floor, singing snippets of lyrics to myself, then went home and wrote them down as the drugs were wearing off.
"My prime collaborators were the hip-hop producer Good Goose - whom I met via my videographer Meg Skaff's band, Hand Job Academy - and the upright bass player Catherine Popper, whom I've known for years. They're both Jedis. My sonic obsession, when I was 22 and trying to start a band, were the huge beats and the omnipresent upright bass on the great hip-hop records of the time. I'm really proud of the sampling work I did on the album - lots of disembodied voices and weird sounds. It's always made me sad that I never got much credit for the samples I brought into Soul Coughing.
"I don't know that I'll ever dig the Soul Coughing recordings, but I've found my way back to the songs."
Also available with Autographed CD Booklet:
Sad Man Happy Man
Yes And Also Yes
The Flip Is Another Honey
Mike Doughty's Tour Dates:
- 10/16 - Mexicali Live - Teaneck, NJ
- 10/17 - Union Transfer - Philadelphia, PA
- 10/18 - Higher Ground - South Burlington, VT
- 10/19 - Paradise Rock Club - Boston, MA
- 10/20 - Port City Music Hall - Portland, ME
- 10/22 - Beachland Ballroom - Cleveland, OH
- 10/23 - Saint Andrew's Hall - Detroit, MI
- 10/24 - Park West - Chicago, IL
- 10/25 - First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
- 10/26 - Off Broadway - St. Louis, MO
- 10/27 - Turner Hall - Milwaukee, WI
- 10/29 - Boulder Theater - Boulder, CO
- 10/30 - Urban Lounge - Salt Lake City, UT
- 11/01 - Biltmore Cabaret - Vancouver, BC
- 11/02 - Neptune Theatre - Seattle, WA
- 11/03 - Wonder Ballroom - Portland, OR
- 11/05 - Rio Theatre - Santa Cruz, CA
- 11/06 - The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA
- 11/08 - The Fonda Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
- 11/09 - Observatory - Santa Ana, CA
- 11/10 - Crescent Ballroom - Phoenix, AZ
- 11/12 - Trees - Dallas, TX
- 11/13 - The Belmont - Austin, TX
- 11/14 - Fitzgerald's - Houston, TX
- 11/15 - Tipitina's - New Orleans, LA
- 11/16 - Crowbar - Tampa, FL
- 11/17 - The Social - Orlando, FL
- 11/19 - Mercy Lounge - Nashville, TN
- 11/20 - Terminal West - Atlanta, GA
- 11/21 - Cat's Cradle - Carrboro, NC
- 11/22 - 9:30 Club - Washington D.C.
- 11/23 - Webster Hall - New York, NY
*Offer valid only with purchase of Circles. This special offer is valid for both domestic and international orders. CDs shipping with promotional items are limited to (5) per customer. Autographed CD booklets will be available while supplies last, newburycomics.com will post information when autographed booklets are sold out.
more music from
Click the link
below for more