Order the new release, In The Mood by Herb Alpert, and get a limited* autographed CD booklet with purchase!
Herb Alpert co-wrote "Wonderful World," in the late 1950's, with Lou Adler and Sam Cooke. In 1962, Alpert and Jerry Moss co-founded A&M Records - to become history's most successful independent record label - revered for its artist-driven agenda.
Immediately after forming A&M, Alpert introduced the Tijuana Brass (TJB) phenomenon, which propelled him to global fame. By putting the trumpet out front, he revolutionized the instrument as a pop radio staple with his signature sound, and selling over 75 million records, CDs and tapes, TJB and A&M's inaugural single, "The Lonely Bull," went Top 10 and helped keep the album charting for three years running. Alpert and Moss sold A&M Records in 1990, but in the decades before, they significantly influenced a diverse roster of talent, including Janet Jackson, Quincy Jones, The Police, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Stan Getz, Cat Stevens, The Carpenters, Sting, Joe Cocker, Sheryl Crow, Peter Frampton and scores of others.
Alpert recorded over 30 albums for A&M (TJB and solo): 14 certified platinum, 15 gold. In 1966, when the TJB craze was unstoppable, he achieved the unmatched feats of simultaneously having four albums in the Billboard Top 10, and five in the Top 20. Herb Alpert has the distinction of being the only recording artist to have a #1 hit single as both a vocalist and an instrumentalist. Overall, Alpert has scored five #1 Billboard Pop Singles including "Rise," "Whipped Cream & Other Delights," "This Guy's In Love With You," and "What Now My Love," in the GRAMMY Awards Archive Collection: All Time Winners. Alpert's many music honors include eight GRAMMYS, and he and his partner, Jerry Moss accepted the prized GRAMMY Lifetime Achievement Award & The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Lifetime Achievement Award.
The late Miles Davis once remarked, "You don't have to hear but three notes before you know it's Herb Alpert." Alpert explains, "There is a certain satisfaction and energy that comes from playing the horn - a feeling that I am really in my element. I am passionate about what I am doing. I am playing what comes out, and I try to stay conscious of things that are happening in the spontaneity of the moment."
Herb Alpert's U.S. Tour Dates:
- 10/7 - Vibrato - Los Angeles, CA
- 10/11 - Infinity Music Hall - Hartford, CT
- 10/12 - Patchogue Theater - Patchogue, NY
- 10/13 - Birchmere - Alexandria, VA
- 10/15 - Sellersville Theatre - Sellersville, PA
- 10/17 - North Shore Center PAC - Skokie, IL
- 10/18 - Dakota Club - Minneapolis, MN
- 10/19 - Dakota Club - Minneapolis, MN
- 10/20 - Dakota Club - Minneapolis, MN
- 11/5 - Yoshis - San Francisco, CA
- 11/6 - Yoshis - San Francisco, CA
- 11/7 - Montalvo Arts Center - Saratoga, CA
- 11/8 - Montalvo Arts Center - Saratoga, CA
- 11/9 - Gallo Arts Center - Modesto, CA
- 11/11 - Aladdin - Portland, OR
- 11/13 - Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
- 11/14 - Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
- 11/15 - Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
- 11/16 - Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
- 11/18 - Whitefish Performing Arts Center - Whitefish, MT
- 12/5 - Maui Arts & Cultural Center - Maui, HI
- 12/6 - Blaisdell Center - Honolulu, HI
*Offer valid only with purchase of In The Mood. This special offer is valid for domestic (U.S.) orders only. CDs shipping with promotional items are limited to (5) per customer. Autographed CD booklets will be available while supplies last, newburycomics.com will post information when autographed booklets are sold out.