AUTOGRAPHED BOOKLETS ARE OUT OF STOCK
Halfway between the British blues revival of the '60s and the southern rock renaissance of the '70s, the six-stringed genius of Johnny Winter has caught countless of listeners by the ears, from Beaumont, Texas to Woodstock and beyond. His high-energy approach to the blues - reverent to tradition but fiercely of a style all his own - made him not only one of the most sought-after new artists of his time, but a peer and equal to the blues legends he worshipped from the beginning. And Winter's tremendous live act, which has knocked crowds flat from The Fillmore East to the Isle of Wight, further underlines his status as a guitar icon. True To The Blues: The Johnny Winter Story is Winter's first-ever career-spanning box set, capturing Johnny's classic recordings and most electrifying live performances over four decades of rock and roll.
Born in Texas in 1944, John Dawson Winter III displayed musical talent at an early age, playing in local talent shows with his younger brother Edgar. As a teenager, he discovered blues legends from Muddy Waters to B.B. King, inspiring him to hone his skills as a guitarist. A chance encounter with fellow modern bluesman Mike Bloomfield led to a live jam with Bloomfield and Al Kooper at New York's Fillmore East; the rapturous response led Columbia Records to sign him for what was one of the biggest deals in music history.
Winter's Columbia years - including the iconic 1969 blues albums Johnny Winter and Second Winter, 1970's Johnny Winter And and 1973's Still Alive and Well - were some of the most scintillating blues work the rock world had seen up to that point. Winter was a peerless live act, too: he played nearly every major music festival of the age, from Woodstock to the Isle of Wight, and knocked crowds flat from The Fillmore East to the biggest outdoor amphitheaters. The definitive live albums that resulted from these dates (including Together, which reunited Johnny with his brother Edgar) make it even easier to understand what makes Winter such a rare talent.
The rest of the 1970s saw Winter move to a new label, Blue Sky Records, and produce not only more acclaimed solo recordings but a clutch of critically-acclaimed records with his longtime hero Muddy Waters. Since then, Winter remains a vital recording and touring act in the blues world, having shared the stage with a who's who of the genre's luminaries from Eric Clapton to The Allman Brothers Band.
This box features tracks from every phase of Winter's storied career, including several rare and previously unreleased live performances.
Johnny Winter's U.S. Tour Dates:
- 2/12 - Theatre Workshop Of Owensboro - Owensboro, KY
- 2/13 - Buddy Guy's Legends - Chicago, IL
- 2/14 - Newport Music Hall - Columbus, OH
- 2/15 - Rams Head On Stage - Annapolis, MD
- 2/16 - Rams Head On Stage - Annapolis, MD
- 2/21 - Bull Run Restaurant - Shirley, MA
- 2/22 - Roots & Blues Festival - Lancaster, PA
- 2/23 - B.B. King Blues Club - New York, NY
- 3/6 - Tally Ho Theatre - Leesburg, VA
- 3/7 - The Social @ Revel - Atlantic City, NJ
- 3/8 - South Orange Performing Arts Ctr. - South Orange, NJ
- 3/9 - The Tarrytown Music Hall - Tarrytown, NY
- 3/15 - Club Fever - South Bend, IN
- 3/18 - The Tralf Music Hall - Buffalo, NY
- 3/20 - Violet's - Barrie, ON
- 3/21 - Uxbridge Music Hall - Uxbridge, ON
- 3/22 - Academy Theatre - Lindsay, ON
- 4/3 - Ramona Mainstage - Ramona, CA
- 4/4 - Moe's Alley - Santa Cruz, CA
- 4/5 - Jackson Rancheria Casino & Hotel - Jackson, CA
- 4/7 - Yoshi's Oakland - Oakland, CA
*Offer valid only with purchase of True To The Blues: The Johnny Winter Story. This special offer is valid for both domestic and international orders. CDs shipping with promotional items are limited to (5) per customer. Autographed CD booklets will be available while supplies last, newburycomics.com will post information when autographed booklets are sold out.
Click the link
below for more