Order the album, I'm A Stranger Here by The Devil Makes Three and get a limited* autographed CD booklet with purchase!
"There's a road that goes out of every town. All you've got to do is get on it," Pete Bernhard says.
The guitarist/singer and his cohorts in the raw and raucous trio The Devil Makes Three have found their way onto that road numerous times since they first left their picaresque rural hometown of Brattleboro, Vermont. Back then, they had no idea it would lead them to such auspicious destinations as the Newport Folk and Austin City Limits Festivals, Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza, and on tours with Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell and Trampled By Turtles. Along the way, they drew numerous accolades from a growing fan base and press alike.
TDM3's travels and travails serve as inspiration for their fourth album and their New West Records debut, I'm a Stranger Here, produced by Buddy Miller and recorded at Dan Auerbach's (Black Keys) Easy Eye Sound Studio in Nashville.
With upright bassist Lucia Turino and guitarist Cooper McBean, Bernhard crafted a dozen tunes, part road songs, part heartbreak songs and part barnburners. While most bands are propelled from behind by a drummer, TDM3 builds exuberant rhythms from the inside out, wrapping finger-picked strings and upsurging harmonies around chugging acoustic guitar and bass, plying an ever-growing audience onto its feet to jump, shake and waltz.
It was Miller's idea to record at Easy Eye rather than his renowned home studio. "Easy Eye is like Sun Records," Bernhard says. "There's one live tracking room filled with amazing gear, and that defines the kind of record you're going to make. That was exactly the record we wanted to make, and we knew Buddy was the one who could capture us playing together like we do."
For a band that made its bones with dynamic performances, recording an album is almost like coaxing lightning into a bottle, but Miller and TDM3 succeed on I'm a Stranger Here. Now they're continuing the journey that began when they found their way to the road that led them out of Vermont. "I can't wait to get onstage, I love it," Bernhard says. "Playing music for a living is a blessing and a curse, but for us there's no other option."
The Devil Makes Three's U.S. Tour Dates:
- 10/6 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - San Francisco, CA
- 10/31 - The Black Sheep - Colorado Springs, CO
- 11/1 - Ogden Theatre - Denver, CO
- 11/2 - Belly Up Aspen - Aspen, CO
- 11/5 - The Blue Note - Columbia, MO
- 11/6 - Blue Moose Tap House - Iowa City, IA
- 11/7 - First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
- 11/8 - Metro - Chicago, IL
- 11/9 - St. Andrew's Hall - Detroit, MI
- 11/10 - Bluebird Nightclub - Bloomington, IN
- 11/12 - Newport Music Hall - Columbus, OH
- 11/13 - Metropolitan Theatre - Morgantown, WV
- 11/14 - Mr. Small's Theatre - Millvale, PA
- 11/15 - 9:30 Club - Washington, DC
- 11/16 - Theatre of the Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA
- 11/17 - Jefferson Theatre - Charlottesville, VA
- 11/19 - 8x10 Club - Baltimore, MD
- 11/21 - Webster Hall - New York, NY
- 11/22 - House of Blues - Boston, MA
- 11/23 - State Theatre - Portland, ME
- 11/24 - Higher Ground Ballroom - Burlington, VT
*Offer valid only with purchase of I'm A Stranger Here. This special offer is valid for both domestic and international orders. CDs shipping with promotional items are limited to (5) per customer. Autographed CD booklets will be available while supplies last, newburycomics.com will post information when autographed booklets are sold out.